Enjoy nature and the serenity of this peaceful setting, while participating in the calm and relaxing practice of aerial yoga. Each class is an 1.5 hours, with the last 20 min being a restorative yoga session.
WHY AERIAL YOGA?
Aerial yoga is wonderful because poses can be achieved with little or no impact on joints, reinforcing the theory that a balance of effort and relaxation will anchor the effects of the practice into the body. The natural law of gravity allows students to fall deeper into back bends or hamstring stretches and many poses are designed to enhance balance, challenge the core, and build strength. Restorative poses are incorporated into each class to open the energy pathways and detox the system with cleansing physical movement. Inversions, such as headstands, can be achieved without taxing the delicate upper spinal column, and handstands can be accomplished with little or no arm strength. In many cases, inversions require no contact with the earth at all because the body is wrapped in the sling in such a way that the yogi can effortlessly float in total relaxation.
AERIAL YOGA STUDENT ETIQUETTE
- Please arrive 10 minutes before class to set yourself up comfortably in your hammock.
- If you are new to the studio, please allow yourself 20 minutes to fill out paperwork, tour the gardens, and set up for class.
- Avoid wearing lotion or strong perfumes.
- Remove your shoes before stepping on to the mat.
- Please do not chew gum.
- Be considerate of the next person using the hammock and observe good personal hygiene.
- Aerial Yoga can be exciting. For safety reasons, we ask that you are quiet and listen attentively while the teacher is talking.
- Listen to your body and take care of yourself during class. Rest when needed by coming to childs pose on your mat or resting in the hammock in a neutral position that feels good to you.
- Avoid practicing on a full stomach.
- Please turn cell phones off or silence them. Please do not leave your phone on vibrate.
- Please wear a sleeved shirt that covers the armpits and pants that cover your knees. (You do not want the aerial swing to rub sensitive skin)
- Wear form fitting clothing. Please do not wear baggy clothing as they can snag and catch on the slings fabric causing accidents.
- Ensure that your clothing is "zipper free" and remove all jewelry, watches and hair clips. These items can snag and damage the silk hammocks. (If your clothing isn't zipper free or glitter free you will not be able to practice)
IS AERIAL YOGA FOR ME?
PHYSICAL RESTRICTIONS AND CONTRAINDICATIONS
All poses can and will be modified through out the class. Check with your doctor before attending class if you have a spinal injury or any medical condition that might be effected by an Aerial Yoga class. Possible contraindications include:
Very High or Very Low Blood Pressure
Easy Onset Vertigo
Osteoporosis or Bone Weakness
Recent Concussion or Head Injury
Head Cold, Flu, or Sinusitis
Hiatal Hernia or Disc Herniation
Artificial or Re-Surfaced Hips
Botox (within 24 hours of class)